Sign this quick climate change petition?
We need to do everything we can to tackle the climate crisis. Speak out to keep more methane — a powerful contributor to climate change — out of our atmosphere.
Climate Change’s Impact
We may have as little as 12 years to prevent massive destruction from climate change, according to the world’s foremost body on the international crisis, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.1
To meet the challenge of the climate crisis — and we can meet this challenge — it will take governments, businesses, and people like us all stepping up.2
At Environmental Action, we know that no one action will solve the climate crisis. But we also believe that, working together, we can speak loudly enough and often enough to turn the country toward a cleaner, greener path.
Today’s action: oppose the Trump administration’s rollback of important rules that limit emissions of a powerful greenhouse gas that fuels climate change.
Methane Contributes to Climate Change
Methane is powerful greenhouse gas that can leak or is purposely vented into the open air at natural gas drilling sites. In fact — in the near-term — methane’s warming effects can be up to 86 percent more potent than carbon dioxide’s.3
The Obama administration increased monitoring and recapture requirements to keep methane emissions from escaping into the open air, degrading air quality, and fueling climate change. But now the Trump Administration is seeking to undermine those guidelines.4
How Your Can Help
In the face of the climate crisis, our government should be working to reduce pollution that fuels climate change — not making it easier for drilling operations to release more methane into the air.
Climate change brought scorching temperatures this summer.5 We saw frequent extreme weather events and massive wildfires.6,7 And toxic algae — supercharged by warmer waters saturated with nutrient waste — littered Florida beaches with the rotting corpses of manateees, sea turtles and other imperiled wildlife.8
Together, we need to mobilize thousands to oppose dangerously short-sighted rollbacks — and we only have until December 17 to make our voices heard!
Methane emissions fuel the climate crisis. Add your name to Environmental Action’s public comment petition right now to keep gas drillers from putting more of this potent greenhouse gas into the atmosphere.
1. Umair Irfan, “Report: we have just 12 years to limit devastating global warming,” Vox, October 8, 2018.
2. Christiana Figueres, “Limiting warming to 1.5C is possible — if there is political will,” The Guardian, October 8, 2018.
3. Lisa Friedman, “Trump Administration Formally Rolls Back Rule Aimed at Limiting Methane Pollution,” The New York Times, September 18, 2018.
4. Jennifer A Dlouhy, “White House Backed Big Oil Over EPA on Finding Methane Leaks,” Bloomberg News, October 19, 2018.
5. Jonathan Watts,”Summer weather is getting ‘stuck’ due to Arctic warming,” The Guardian, August 20, 2018.
6. James Rainey, “Global warming can make extreme weather worse. Now scientists can say by how much,” NBC News, August 19, 2018.
7. Kirk Siegler, “Why Today’s Wildfires Are Hotter And More Destructive,” NPR, August 7, 2018.
8. Angela Fritz, “How climate change is making ‘red tide’ algal blooms even worse,” The Washington Post, August 15, 2018.